The church consists of a west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, chancel and south porch. The earliest parts are the chancel and north transept, which are from about 1300. The rest of the building is late 14th and early 15th century, and was built by Sir Michael De La Pole, first Earl of Suffolk, and his wife Catherine (except the north aisle, built by Robert Oxburgh).
The construction is of flint, except the 120' (73m) tower, which is faced in freestone. There are interesting gargoyles below the parapets. Inside is a hammerbeam roof to the nave with carved angels, a 15th century rood screen with original painted panels, medieval stained glass, poppy-headed benches, a 15th century pulpit and a medieval alms box.
The building attracts many visitors each year with its fine hammer beam roof, decorated with carved angels, and a 15th century painted rood screen. Please come and join our regular worship or just to marvel at this fine historic church.
Services and events
Our regular events and services include:
- weekly Sunday services (starting at 10:30am every week)
- weekly toddler group (Thursdays 9am-11am term-time only)
- monthly evening services (2nd Sunday of each month starting at 6pm)
- monthly Book and Jigsaw exchange and cafe (3rd Saturday of each month 10am-11am)
For more information about all our services and upcoming events please visit our Facebook page.
For the past two years a weekly online has been produced for those that could not attend the building (which included all of us during lock-down). These services continue to reach many people in Cawston and in our wider community. Visit our YourTube channel to view any of 140 previous services.
Click here to make a donation online to Cawston Parish Church.